- POSITION SUMMARY
The purpose of this position is to provide semi-skilled and manual labor for the Public Works department within the Solid Waste Division. The Solid Waste Laborer rides on the vehicle and assists a Driver in providing prompt, courteous and complete waste removal services for customers who reside on a designated residential route. The Solid Waste Laborer is responsible for safely loading waste, as well as carrying bags and containers to the vehicle for disposal.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Ride on the vehicle to assist the Driver while servicing customers on a designated route.
- Operate packing mechanism and various levers and handles to activate the lifting and loading mechanism.
- Clean waste from the packer blade and truck body on each disposal trip; spray and clean the hopper and truck, if applicable.
- Perform complete pre- and post-operation inspection of the vehicle in accordance with department policy; report any safety issues on standard reports.
- Courteously interact with all customers, dispatchers and others on a daily basis to ensure all customer routes are serviced in a timely and professional manner.
- Continuously monitor waste for evidence of unacceptable waste.
- Clean area around an accidental waste spill, ensuring adherence to all applicable safety standards and policies.
- Maintain adherence to required productivity standards for the department to ensure all customers are serviced in a timely and efficient manner.
- Follow all required safety policies and procedures.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid Driver's License
- Manual labor experience preferably in construction or mechanical
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Exert heavy physical effort in heavy work, with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing, but typically also involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds).
- May occasionally involve heavier objects and materials (up to 100 pounds).
- Subject to exposure to dust, fumes, vibration, noise, and dirty working conditions.
- Frequent standing and walking.