Director of Human Resources
- POSITION SUMMARY
Bellaire, Texas is located seven miles southwest of downtown Houston with a population of approximately 18,862 residents and a span of 3.5 square miles. Founded in 1908, Bellaire is an enclave residential community surrounded by Houston, offering a quality of life that promotes a family atmosphere with great amenities and the charm of a small town. We provide a full range of services to the community, including police, fire, and solid waste pickup along with excellent parks, recreation, and library. The Human Resources Director serves as a strategic partner and leader to approximately 150 full-time staff along with approximately 150 part-time and seasonal employees. Generous employee benefits include a 2:1 employer match on TMRS retirement contributions, 98% employer subsidy of employee-only medical plans, employee wellness program, and employer sponsored health savings accounts.
The Human Resources Director leads and directs the Human Resources activities for the City of Bellaire. The Human Resources Director manages and administers a broad range of functions, including talent acquisition and retention, compensation plan, benefits plans, employee performance evaluation program, employee development, leadership training, risk management, and safety programs, payroll, and employee relations. Responsible for developing and maintaining employment-related policies and procedures to ensure the City’s ongoing compliance with applicable laws and alignment with best practices and implementation of those policies and procedures. The Human Resources Director also serves as the City’s Equal Employment Opportunity Officer, ADA Coordinator, Employee Assistant Program Coordinator, and Privacy Officer. As the head of the Human Resources Department, the Human Resources Director reports to the City Manager, serves on the City’s leadership team, supervises Human Resources personnel, procures and manages Human Resources consultant contracts, and is responsible for the development and implementation of the Human Resources Department budget.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
*****This position will be posted until filled.*****
Candidates who apply by February 28, 2023, will be regarded as first pool and given priority consideration. If no selection is made from the first pool, candidates who applied after February 28, 2023, will be considered.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS:
- Demonstrated leadership in Human Resources.
- Demonstrated commitment to teamwork, transparency, professional ethics, and integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective working relationships.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of employment laws and employment-related best practices and procedures.
- Experience with leadership development and mentoring practices and programs.
- Experience with employee management, performance evaluation, development, and discipline practices and programs.
- Experience with risk management and safety programs.
- Experience initiating, managing, and successfully completing Human Resources-related projects and procurements.
- Reviews recommend, develops, and administers City human resource policies, procedures, and programs working in conjunction with the City Manager and compliance with applicable State and Federal law and administrative codes
- Monitors changing legislation to determine the need for new or modified policies and procedures
- Manages the City’s recruitment and staffing process
- Manages the employee classification and compensation system
- Selects, supervises, and evaluates assigned staff
- Directs and manages the City’s payroll process
- Manages the City’s employee performance evaluation process
- Coordinates and assists department heads and supervisors with the resolution of employee performance or personnel issues
- Conducts internal investigations for harassment, discrimination, or other violations of employment law and employee misconduct
- Serves as the City’s grievance coordinator and is responsible for the timely review, documentation, and investigation of received employee complaints and concerns
- Represents the City in the unemployment process, including attending Texas Workforce Commission Unemployment Hearings on behalf of the City
- Coordinates the administration of employee benefits systems
- Supervises the maintenance of centralized personnel records for all City employees
- Maintains responsibility and ensures departmental compliance with all city-wide policies and procedures and regulatory requirements, including but not limited to Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and EEO-4, Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and Workers Compensation
- Serves as the Equal Employment Opportunity Officer, ADA Coordinator, Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Coordinator, and City’s Privacy Officer
- Manages the City’s risk management and safety programs and services
- Directs the coordination of training and development programs
- Attends meetings and conferences to stay connected to current trends and best practices in the industry
- Attends and presents technical information at City Council and other meetings
- Performs other duties as assigned
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in human resources, public or business administration, psychology, or a related field
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible human resources experience
- Three (3) years of supervisory experience or leadership role
- Advanced experience or training in personal computer use with Microsoft Office software
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in human resources management, industrial relations, public or business administration, psychology, or a related field
- Senior certified Human Resources Professional designation or certification
- Experience with HR technology, including NeoGov and Paycom
- Keyboarding skills of 55 wpm
- Municipal government experience
- LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Valid Driver’s License
- Appointment will be conditional upon successful completion of the following pre-employment checks:
- Criminal background check
- Controlled substance screening
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Pay: $52.36 to $76.47/hour
$52.36 - $76.47
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 3913441