Director of Human Resources
- POSITION SUMMARY
Bellaire, Texas is located seven miles southwest of downtown Houston with a population of approximately 18,862 residents and a span of 3.5 square miles. Founded in 1908, Bellaire is an enclave residential community surrounded by Houston, offering a quality of life that promotes a family atmosphere with great amenities and the charm of a small town. We provide a full range of services to the community, including police, fire, and solid waste pickup along with excellent parks, recreation, and library. The Human Resources Director serves as a strategic partner and leader to approximately 150 full-time staff along with approximately 150 part-time and seasonal employees. Generous employee benefits include a 2:1 employer match on TMRS retirement contributions, 98% employer subsidy of employee-only medical plans, employee wellness program, and employer sponsored health savings accounts.
The Human Resources Director leads and directs the Human Resources activities for the City of Bellaire. The Human Resources Director manages and administers a broad range of functions, including talent acquisition and retention, compensation plan, benefits plans, employee performance evaluation program, employee development, leadership training, risk management, and safety programs, payroll, and employee relations. Responsible for developing and maintaining employment-related policies and procedures to ensure the City’s ongoing compliance with applicable laws and alignment with best practices and implementation of those policies and procedures. The Human Resources Director also serves as the City’s Equal Employment Opportunity Officer, ADA Coordinator, Employee Assistant Program Coordinator, and Privacy Officer. As the head of the Human Resources Department, the Human Resources Director reports to the City Manager, serves on the City’s leadership team, supervises Human Resources personnel, procures and manages Human Resources consultant contracts, and is responsible for the development and implementation of the Human Resources Department budget.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS:
- Demonstrated leadership in Human Resources.
- Demonstrated commitment to teamwork, transparency, professional ethics, and integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective working relationships.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of employment laws and employment-related best practices and procedures.
- Experience with leadership development and mentoring practices and programs.
- Experience with employee management, performance evaluation, development, and discipline practices and programs.
- Experience with risk management and safety programs.
- Experience initiating, managing, and successfully completing Human Resources-related projects and procurements.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
A Bachelor’s Degree in human resources management, business management, public administration, or a related field and seven years of progressively responsible human resources experience, including three years of supervisory or leadership experience, are required. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered. Senior certified Human Resources Professional designation or certification is preferred.
- LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Valid Driver’s License
- Appointment will be conditional upon successful completion of the following pre-employment checks:
- Criminal background check
- Controlled substance screening